Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I knew I always wanted boys. Anyone who knows me well knows I'm not a girlie girl.
As much as I'd like to have trendy Top Shop items hanging in my closet and feel like everything is right in the world because I own multiple pairs of designer jeans and sexy knee-high leather boots, I don't make fashion or make-up or pretty girl things a priority. I wish I did more so, but I don't.
I don't have the patience to spend an hour doing my hair. I'd rather take that time I'd spend on myself and spend it with my kids doing something outdoors. I'd rather read them a stack of library books then take the time to blow out my hair and put on foundation and eyeliner.
I'm not saying this is good thing. I know I should get my haircut and highlighted more regularly. I know I should probably look in to getting my teeth whitened and my sun spots lightened. I know I'd look better with bigger boobs, tanner legs, and a sassier hair style. And if the Zappos fairy did come and stock my closet with 12 new pairs of luscious leather shoes and boots, I wouldn't turn around and donate them to Goodwill. I love nice things but I don't want to go out looking for them and I don't want to have to pay for them and hence this is why I own next to nothing.
And so back to having boys. My guess is that as Dax and Skylar grow older they'll want to dress in hip, stylish clothes and do their hair the way other boys do their hair but they won't want to hit the mall every weekend to shop. Their vanity will stay in check, I hope. They won't invest all their time in their looks. They'll be too busy with sports and homework and exploring to think about it much.
But it seems more than ever, girls seem to be unhappy with what they were born with and absolutely consumed by needing to alter their looks to fit in with their peers. Do they get this message from their moms who are also tinkering daily with their appearances trying to get the look just perfect? Does it come from the media blitz - be thin all over but large chested on top! Be tan year round! Get that nose smaller, lips larger, and hair blonder! Turn your teeth as white as chalk and never, gasp, step into a pair of sandals without the toes painted!
I'm simply amazed that young teenage girls (I know many!) who are getting breast implants and putting the $8,000 bill on their credit cards. And their parents are allowing this?! Why do young girls feel they now need to be tan all year round? It seems getting sprayed weekly is just part of a normal beauty routine for them. The hours they are spending on their make-up and hair could be spent with a nose in a book actually learning something new.
Parents who tolerate and even condone this narcissistic attitude in their young girls is sending the message to their daughters that spending this inordinate amount of time on their looks is OK. Why aren't we teaching our girls that they are gorgeous just the way they are?
I understand that when you feel beautiful you feel confident and when you feel confident you feel you can conquer the world. But we need to also get the message out to them that they are perfect and smart and wonderful just the way they are. Being attractive gets one ahead. We all know this. But you've got to have the smarts to back that up or you're just a pretty girl with a bad paying job.
I give kudos to all those parents out there who are not allowing their baby girls to grow up too quickly. Who are not focusing all their attention on how their girls look - who don't tell them every day how pretty they are but how smart and amazingly gifted they are too!
I feel surrounded by some young divas and it bums me out. I want to see a return back to natural where we embrace our our imperfections and rejoice in all that is different and not the same.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I suppose I should follow up what I wrote on fb. This subject is on my mind a lot as a mother of a girl, so it seems you may have hit a nerve. Anyway, I was surprised to hear that you are surrounded by these kinds of girls in your daily life. It sounds like all of the images that we see in the media all day long. I do think that the media has a huge impact on young girls, as it also could have on us moms, but it's up to us to weed out all of these images and figure out what is real in our own lives. And on another note, we need to acknowledge how important a father's influence is too (if not more than mom's). I guess what I was trying to say on fb is that no matter how screwed up this younger generation appears to be lately, when it has really come down to it, the young people (especially girls) that Mike and I have met lately have surprisingly knocked our socks off in their interests, intentions, and overall being. It's given us hope that as long as we give our kids solid ground to stand on that they will be able to see through all the media glitz and glamour and realize what is important and real in life. There will always be those people who fall under that influence (I remember them from high school and beyond), but in general I have been starting to see a shift in priorities in this younger generation (when did we fall out of this category?) and it's given me hope that we WILL see this happen in our lifetime. Things are a changin' for the good! I think it may just take a while to see it. But I think it's happening in all of us. Have faith Ki! There are lots of strong and amazing young women out there, just like you! And you are raising two boys who will appreciate more in a woman than just a pretty face or hot body. We need more of them! Ok, I'm done. love you babe!! (but you could still move back to sf!)

    ReplyDelete