Monday, May 3, 2010

As grateful as I am for all that I've got - the list of "have's" versus "have not's" is exponential - our coffers continue to get decimated by unexpected hospital bills, car renewals and registrations, airline tickets to friends' weddings, new suits, lawyer fees for living wills, blah blah blah. Just when I think we're getting ahead, i.e. ridding ourselves of credit card debt which we've now done (we are rejoicing on that one believe me!), someone else is asking for a piece of the pie. I feel like just handing them my wallet, tattooing my bank account on the palm of their hand, giving them an itemize list of all my assets and just screaming, "fine, take it all"! Because that's how it feels. After everyone is paid out, there's little left to play with. But you know, something struck me the other day. My brain was seething with worry over how we were going to get through May and then I found a $20 bill and another $5 in my dresser drawer. I realized that at this very moment in time, at this precise minute, I have $25. I ran downstairs and said to Tim, "Let's go out for Vietnamese!" That night, we stuffed ourselves on Pho - a healthy Vietnamese chicken noodle soup, vermicelli noodles with grilled beef, and Vietnamese egg rolls. We were enjoying the moment. Our bellies were full and the sniffles that were coming on from a cold or allergies seemed to go away too. This food nourished us in so many ways. What I learned from this experience is that I need to look at where I am now and not where things might go in the future. Being mindful of the present and laying to rest the worries of what might go wrong later. Because right now, things are good. Very very good. We will come up with the money for all the unexpected bills. We always do. And we'll always find a little extra for those times when it's important to splurge a little too.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great story! I love the fact that you spent your only $25 on a meal for yourself. Although I would consider you careful with money, this reminds me of how you can also be so care-free. AND it reminds me of when you and Susan introduced me to Pho many years ago, at the Pho Pasteur in Allston ... A life-changing moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Carolyn. You know me so well! And I still dream about Pho Pasteur's food - some of the best Vietnamese food I've ever had. Especially their tofu dishes.

    ReplyDelete