Friday, September 10, 2010

Right before Skylar was born, my life felt out of control. We had no renters for our Santa Fe home which meant going in to debt by $1,300 every month - something we could not afford to do, Dax had decided that pooping on the floor instead of his toddler potty was where he wanted to conduct his "business", and I was worried that as a couple we weren't going to be able to handle another addition to the family. As a way to comfort myself, I started to do one very simple thing: I began to sing Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" to Dax before his daytime nap and before bedtime. The lyric, "singin' don't worry about a thing 'cause every little thing, gonna be alright' became my new mantra - if I sang it enough times, then I'd have to start believing that every little and big trouble I had would right itself. And you know what? They did. It all worked out. Repeating a mantra, saying a prayer, thinking positive thoughts are all ways to keep the irrational and terrifying fears at bay. Every time I'd start slipping in to that dark place, I'd begin to sing Marley's uplifting words. We have renters now and even better, they wire the money each month to our Wells Fargo account, Dax prefers the potty to the parquet floor and Tim and I are finally finding our rhythm in raising two boys.

1 comment:

  1. love that song and sooooo happy things are working out! it was charlie's favorite as a little monkey. we sang it to him all the time and it was a cover on the cd that we gave you. still a favorite!

    ReplyDelete